1-3-7 Trimethylxanthine (Caffeine)
Caffeine is a drug that is naturally produced in the leaves and seeds of many plants. It's also produced artificially and added to certain foods. Caffeine is defined as a drug because it stimulates the central nervous system, causing increased alertness. Caffeine gives most people a temporary energy boost and elevates mood.Caffeine is a drug that is naturally produced in the leaves and seeds of many plants. It's also produced artificially and added to certain foods. Caffeine is defined as a drug because it stimulates the central nervous system, causing increased alertness. Caffeine gives most people a temporary energy boost and elevates mood.
Caffeine is in tea, coffee, chocolate, many soft drinks, and pain relievers and other over-the-counter medications. In its natural form, caffeine tastes very bitter. But most caffeinated drinks have gone through enough processing to camouflage the bitter taste.
Teens usually get most of their caffeine from soft drinks and energy drinks. (In addition to caffeine, these also can have added sugar and artificial flavors.) Caffeine is not stored in the body, but you may feel its effects for up to 6 hours.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: October 2011
Top 10 Caffeine Health Benefits
Caffeine is the most widely used substance on the planet. Are there health benefits from caffeine or is most of the world just poisoning themselves?
Over the years, Energy Fiend has written about the research that showed the health benefits of caffeine. We've dug through our archives and put together a handy list for you.
Caffeine Heath Benefits
1. In Japan researchers have shown that caffeine increases memory.
2. Caffeine mixed with carbs replenishes muscle glycogen concentrations faster after exercise.
3. Caffeine detoxes the liver and cleanses the colon when taken as a caffeine enema.
4. Caffeine is better than sleep when you need to be alert while driving.
5. Caffeine can stimulate hair growth on balding men and women.
6. Caffeine relieves post work-out muscle pain by up to 48%.
7. Caffeine helps ward off Alzheimer's.
8. Caffeine can ease depression by increasing dopamine in the brain.
9. Caffeine increases stamina during exercise.
10. Caffeine protects against eyelid spasm.
Well, there you have it, at least ten solid reasons to keep consuming caffeine for your good health. So what are you waiting for go have a coffee or a Red Bull and why not print this list out for all those that would condemn you.